Western Region Employment and Industrial Development Strategy (2007)
Melbourne’s western region comprises seven municipalities with a population in excess of 620,000 people (2005). The region is undergoing significant household and population growth, and the population of the region is predicted to exceed 850,000 people by 2031.
The challenge for the region is to provide a sustainable land use and infrastructure strategy to generate:
- regional employment opportunities at a rate comparable to the population growth, to mitigate an increasing reliance on central Melbourne and the northern region for employment;
- a broader diversity of job opportunities including higher value and knowledge based employment.
The strategy seeks to achieve a sustainable economic future for Melbourne’s west through the following outcomes:
- communication of a regional vision and fostering of regional leadership;
- facilitation of strong employment growth;
- support for land use renewal and change;
- transformation of the region’s industrial base;
- transport and access improvements;
- monitoring and facilitation of industrial land requirements;
- policy framework for industrial land conservation.
Return to Previous Page.