- Building a narrative of how town centres and regions work;
- Application of analysis in planning and design.
- Critical role of community participation in planning and design;
- Whole of community approach to planning and design;
- Vision statement reflective of community values and aspirations and local identity and culture.
- Creative planning and design at the interface of community values and functional requirements of towns and regions;
- Appreciation of the physical and cultural context of communities, towns and regions.
- Sustainable development through use of relevant design principles and techniques;
- Mixed use developments;
- Maximise access to public transport;
- Provision of compact, transit-oriented communities with walkable and bicycle friendly land uses.